twelve days of christmas baking: day twelve

I wanted to teach Mya the real reason we celebrate Christmas. I know I only have a few precious years before she thinks more about Santa than Jesus so I decided to start a new tradition this year. We will always make a birthday cupcake/cake for Jesus. We will light candles and blow them out in honor of him. This year we made vanilla cupcakes with buttercream icing. Tim frosted them for me and decorated each one with a special star, since that is my favorite part of the Christmas story. The kids loved blowing out the candles and singing to Jesus.


Day Twelve: Vanilla Cupcakes with buttercream frosting

3/4 c. butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c. milk

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, salt and baking powder. Alternate adding flour and milk into batter. Stir until batter is smooth.

Fill paper-lined muffin tray (makes 18-24) and bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes. (I tried to make these in Arizona and they fell a little flat so be mindful if you need to add a little extra flour depending on the altitude.)

Buttercream Frosting
I've tried a handful of buttercream frosting recipes. This is the best one. I loved it. I would've licked the bowl if I wasn't watching my figure. Maybe next year.

1 c. softened unsalted butter
3-4 c. powder sugar (I used a little more than 3)
1/4 tsp. table salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
4 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream (milk can also be used, I use cream)

Cream butter. Add sugar slowly. Mix well. Add salt, vanilla and cream. Add more sugar if desired.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley