I'd choose the fennec fox as my mascot.

My daughter is currently explaining to me why she'd choose the fennec fox as a school mascot for the merging high school in our town. She said, "The first reason I'd choose it is because they're fast at running, which is probably good for all the sports the teenagers do there. And second, I'd choose them because they're good at hiding, which is good if there's a lockdown with an active shooter--that way we wouldn't get hurt because we'd know how to hide like a fox."

I don't think I ever thought of a mascot in reference to such a serious subject before tonight. I mean I remember going through fire drills and bomb drills as a child in California, but Mya just informed me that they do "active shooter" drills more than any other drill. I asked her how that made her feel (it did not make me feel warm and fuzzy that's for sure), and she shrugged, "I don't know mom. I try not to think about it because it just makes me want to cry."

I hate that people do stupid and hurtful things because of hate. I honestly consider home school from time to time because I want to keep my children safe, but I know I can't be with them every minute of every day.

This conversation that started out so cute, but it really just broke my heart in the end.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley