Saying goodbye to 25

I embraced 25 with open arms. Tim would make fun of me because I would always tell people I was 25 months before my actual birthday. I have not done the same for 26. I am not sure how to feel about turning 26. I know it will most likely feel exactly the same as 25, but something about it scares me. I guess it is one year closer to thirty and fifty and those seem like huge milestones that I am not ready to meet.

Twenty-five was an incredible year for me. It started in Virginia and will end in Provo. During the year, I birthed a child, was asked to be a bridesmaid in my good friend's wedding, graduated from college, visited Vegas, Arizona, Miami and Michigan, snorkeled for the first time, saw the most incredible sunset in Key West and found a full-time job that didn't include managing an apartment complex. I can't believe all I have done. I feel I have changed a lot this year. I have learned a lot about myself. I thought motherhood would come naturally for me. Before Mya was born I would write her letters about my excitement for her arrival, but when the day actually came...motherhood did not come natural. It seemed so foreign. It was a frustrating experience. I thought patience was just granted to mothers who endured hours of crying. It wasn't. I struggled to find my balance as a mother, wife and individual when it all began. The foreign feeling finally started slipping away as the year progressed. I began to have patience with Mya and myself. I began to feel find myself in my writing. I feel I am definitely coming into my own as a mother. I think this is the best thing about this year...finally feeling the excitement I was anticipating so many months before the birth.

I am sad to say goodbye to 25. I hope tomorrow I will gracefully accept 26. We will see. (P.S. I posted two other things tonight...take a look below.)

August 1, 2008 (Virginia)
Nine months pregnant
My first photo with Mya
I was a bridesmaid
Graduating from BYU
Swimming in Miami
Snorkeling for the first time in the Atlantic Ocean

3 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday, Janine!! I am sure that you will make 26 a great year, too! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Janine. Hard to believe I've been lucky enough to have known you since your sixth grade. We've watched you grow from a girl - to a young lady - now to a wonderful wife and loving mother. I knew you'd do great! I will always remember how you were with Nicholas and yes sweetie we never found a sitter who measured up to you. We love you and I think of you each time I wash my hands in the kitchen. Happy Birthday! We so enjoy reading your blog and seeing how your life is going. Well, I'm tearing up from the love I hold for you. Always, Jo, Dave, Nicholas and Steven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right around the corner to 26. Except I didn't do as much in 25 as you did. What a nice post about becoming a mother...I don't think that it comes easy to most girls. I'll be looking to you for advice.

    My e-mail address is lorimiller04@gmail.com You asked for it a while back.

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley