sad.

I think everyone who knows me knows that I have a love/hate relationship with my job. If I am well rested and well fed, I love my job. I don't mind my demanding hygienists or my semi-absent minded boss. I don't mind the endless phone calls from patients insisting it is their turn to get their teeth cleaned. I don't mind filing over 100 files a day. And I don't mind getting glared at by students who don't get their way. However, when I am tired and hungry, there are moments I want to pick up my purse and walk out the front door. Luckily, those days are few.

In my two years at the college, I have learned how to handle dental hygiene students. They are a special breed. Perfecionists to the core--they know exactly what they want and how to get it. They don't take no for an answer. It isn't even an option. They can be manipulative if it helps them get what they want. They can also be sweet if it gets them what they want. But for the most part, they just want to excel and be good at what they do. I have seen my share of tears. I have heard my share of laughter. I have eavesdropped on my share of gossip. And through it all all the ups and downs just make me love the students more.

Tonight, the class of 2011 graduated. I must admit I am not sad to see some of them go. But for the most part, I will miss this class. We have become friends over the past 20 months and it is always sad to say goodbye to friends.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley