twelve days of christmas baking: day eight

I call this recipe The Stolen Sugar Cookies. Rumor has it that this recipe was a hidden family secret. My good friend once had a roommate that made these cookies all the time but wouldn't cough up the recipe claiming it was a family secret. Irritated, my friend sneaked into her room while she was on a date and copied the recipe into her personal notebook. She put the recipe back into its original place and never told her roomie about the naughty deed. I can't remember if I asked my friend for permission to copy the recipe or if I stole the recipe from her too. I'd like to think I asked for it, but I may have stolen it just to keep the fun alive.

Day Eight: Stolen Sugar Cookies
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 c. flour

Frosting
1/2 c. soft butter
3 c. powder sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk
3 oz. soft cream cheese

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs. Cream again. Add cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and flour. Mix well. Have some extra flour to roll the cookies out and make designs. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes. (I put my dough in the refrigerator today for the first time for about 30 minutes in hopes that it would help keep the cutter shape. It worked. Just a little tip.) Frost when cookie is totally cooled.

2 comments :

  1. Love all the recipes, I've made a special file for them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these! I remember you bringing them to my first cookie exchang. They were soooo good!

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley