monday morning chatter


{my backyard in the fall}

I love my backyard, but I am not loving the idea of raking all those leaves. I raked for more than an hour earlier in the week and barely made a dent in the tiresome project. Tim pulled out the leaf blower and was able to clear out a larger section, but we still have more than half of the backyard to tackle. The idea overwhelms me. It will get done but probably not as quickly as our neighbors would like. (You are the odd man out here if you don't keep up with your lawn...I guess we've been on the outs since Elle came. Oh well.)

I witnessed something yesterday I never thought I'd see in my lifetime: security at church. It was a strange and unfamiliar sight. Yesterday, a man walked into a salon about a mile from our church building (and about two miles from my house) and killed and/or injured eight people. Oblivious to the incident--Tim and I drove our normal route to church; it was then we discovered something terrible must've happened. We saw what seemed like every police car in the state create a barrier on a very busy street. A row of ambulances lined up behind them and outside an unfamiliar building. We quickly drove passed the crowded street and headed to church. 

As soon as we parked the car I noticed men standing at the different entrances to the church. I grabbed V from the car and walked up to the door. It was then that I learned what had happened down the road: another fatal shooting. The details that are currently available were not available at that point so the church leaders felt it was necessary to place security at all the doors. The gunman was supposedly still at large. If a door was left unsupervised, it was locked immediately.

I didn't really think anything would happen at church, but I will admit that the idea of a mass shooting occurring so close to home made me shiver just a bit. The world grows angrier by the day. Apparently, the shooter was the husband (soon to be ex-husband) of one of the employees that worked at the salon. The police have not released a motive, but isn't the motive completely obvious? Anger. I wrote about this subject recently so I will not write too much about it here, but I feel the need to say, "Can't we all just get along?" Why do innocent men/women/husbands/wives/daughters/sons/friends have to become victims of anger?

All the recent acts of anger have really made me reflect on how I treat people. I have always considered myself a polite person but as I evaluated myself in certain situations, I found areas that needed improvement. I have been working on those areas everyday for the past month. I wish more people would do the same. 

I honestly can't believe the strange details of yesterday, but I am so glad I was able to hug and kiss the people closest to me at the end of the day. I hope I will always be that lucky. I hope you will too. 

My Monday Morning Chatter: 
How to deal with anger: Control anger before it controls you
I'm all about dresses post-labor so I really love this one: The Austin City Dress
I've been searching for mustard flats and found these: Velvet Doll Flats
Rather than making pumpkin pie...I'm considering making this instead: Pumpkin Spice Creme Brulee
Since we go through a gallon of milk every two days, this craft would be easy to make: Spirit Jugs
I may or may not dance every time I hear this song: We are Young

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley