i guess i am one of those moms.

I didn't think I was the mom that would be completely smitten when her child stepped out onto a stage, but I am. I totally am.

Mya performed on stage for the first time on Saturday. She was all dolled up with her fancy hair, makeup and puffy tutu. With the exception of her jet-lagged eyes, she embodied my idea of an angel. I loved every inch of her and her sweet smile that day. I think she only got two dance steps correct, but I didn't care. All I cared about was that she was out there on her own being herself. She is one of a kind, and I am proud of that.

Saturday was a really good day for me as a mom. I am extremely hard on myself as a mom (as you already know), and I sometimes find it hard to find the joy in the endless whining and tantrums. But the joy is always there if you look for it. I didn't have to look too far for it on Saturday. It seemed to seep into every minute of the day from Mya's performance to Elle's chubby hands pulling on my hair when she was supposed to be napping to V's slobbery, sticky kiss at the end of the night.

I have loved motherhood lately. There have been hard moments, but for the most part I feel like my girls and I are in a good place. We are hugging each other a lot, which honestly helps. And we are laughing. Oh how we are laughing. I decided to scale back some of my crazy ideas to entertain my kids because well...although the ideas were great in my head...they didn't always turn out amazing...and I would end up finishing the activities alone because my girls didn't find me fun anymore. So we are back at square one, learning about our separate quirks and how to bend with each of them.

It never ceases to amaze me how often moms need to return to square one with each passing phase. Kids change and therefore, we must change. Our inability to be flexible can really taint the way we parent. I am learning that. But for now, we are happy and laughing and dancing. 

I am so proud of my Mya. She is my light in so many ways. 





...don't you just want to gnaw on those little arms and legs. i love how she is completely off in the routine (she takes after her mother). i also love how she fidgets with her fingers when she is nervous...i do the same thing. i love my girl.

my monday afternoon chatter: 
we so often read about unplugging (which i am obviously a fan of) but here is a new perspective: In Defense of the iPhone Mom
i want this dress in my closet: Pleated dress
i've read nothing but great reviews of this recipe. i am making it this week: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos 
i love keeping a record of hand/footprints. i thought this was a creative idea: Craft-Lobster 
this song made us laugh right out loud on our way to dinner the other night: It's business time 
I hope you have a terrific week!

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley