Twelve days of Christmas baking: day one (Raspberry sour cream pie)


Yesterday, I baked my first project for the twelve days of baking. If you know me, you know I love pie. Pie is definitely my dessert of choice, and I have loved collecting only the best pie recipes over the years. I've been on the hunt for more cream pie recipes that don't use any canned products because a couple of the ones I already use require sweetened condensed milk.

I was so happy when I stumbled on this delicious raspberry sour cream pie. The original recipe can be found here. And my favorite pie crust can be found here. (As a note about pie crusts, I have made dozens of pie crusts, and this pie crust is the absolute best. It crumbles perfectly while still holding up to whatever filling it houses.) I really loved this pie. It is very different than my lemon raspberry cream pie that I usually make during the holiday season, but the combination of sweet and tart is perfection. I think it would be a great addition to any holiday party. (One note: it should be eaten the day it is made so make it when you are going to a party because the filling gets a bit wet on the second day.) Also, I have made a sour cream peach pie for years, which uses a bit of cinnamon in the topping. I think I'll add some cinnamon to the topping the next time I make this. Enjoy!

Raspberry sour cream pie
1 unbaked pie crust

Filling
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. regular sour cream (light sour cream is not recommended)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. sugar
1 pinch of salt (I threw in an extra pinch because I believe in salt. ;))
3 cups of raspberries (I used fresh, but you can use frozen.)

Topping
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped pecans (I think the nuts can be optional if you're not a nut fan.)
1/4 c. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, beat eggs until light colored. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt together. Stir dry mixture into egg mixture. Gently fold in raspberries. (I really tried not to break the raspberries apart.) Pour filling into the unbaked pie crust.

Bake the pie for 30 to 35 minutes or until the center begins to set. While the pies bake, make the topping. In a bowl, mix sugar, flour and nuts. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside. Sprinkle pies with topping and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley