peace exists

After an afternoon of gray clouds and misty showers and dinner menu consisting of garlic pot roast and mashed potatoes, I find myself uniquely alone on this early Friday evening. I had intended to take the girls to family night at Mya's school, but at the last minute, Tim insisted I stayed home and rest my back while playing guardian of our ever-growing 15 month old. 

She's in bed now so it's just me, the wind chimes and the cool breezes flowing in and out of my bedroom. Thankfully it's been too wet for our neighbor's 4 dogs to roam the yard so it is quiet and peaceful. 

I long for peace. It's hard to find amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life. There's always a load to be folded with a baby clinging to my leg and a toddle rummaging the piles as I make them. There's always a meal to be made. There's always a book to be read. There's always a lesson plan to create. There's usually a tear to be wiped or a boo boo to be bandaged. And there's almost always a tiny voice begging for attention. 

And somewhere in the midst of all that commotion, I search for peace. I realize this is not the case for some people. Instead of children begging for attention, you might have clients or patients. Instead of dogs incessantly barking throughout the day, you may hear taxi horns. Life and its many variables changes from person to person and situation to situation.

Do you search for peace as well? Where do you find it/feel it? 

I feel peace most at night when the kids are in bed and I internally review my day--my ups, my downs. I'm usually sitting on my brown leather couch with my laptop closed, resting on my knee, waiting for me to open it and begin my work. I am usually braless and makeup free. My hair is free from any top knots or hair ties. It is then--in the stillness of the evening lamplight, that I remember the smiles, the laughter, the insight, the books read, and the small accomplishments of the day. 

In those moments, I often remember a quote by George Harrison, "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." That's all it takes, looking beyond ourselves and remembering the other things of the day. I know peace exists, even when it's difficult to feel. I hope you can feel it too. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley