Horseback riding











When I was little, I used to pray to go horseback riding at Convict Lake. It was a privilege--one we did not get every year--but when we did, I felt so special. I always felt larger than life sitting on one of those gentle giants. This year, when I told the kids we were going to the lake again, the first question they asked was if they were going to be able to go horseback riding. Not knowing if it would work out, I didn't promise anything, but I was so happy we could fit it into the schedule.

My children have a natural affection for animals. We joke that they are animal fairies--especially Genevieve. She can calm even the most anxious animal in a barn; it's pretty spectacular. I worried Birdie would get nervous because even though she loves most animals, she gets scared of the really big ones. But with a little coaxing from me, Genevieve and my dad, she mounted the horse without a tear. I was so proud! All the kids did great, and I can't wait to go again!

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley