Merry Christmas

I have to be to the girls' school in 15 minutes for their annual Christmas parties. I've made 5 dozen cookies and 8 dozen mini muffins over the past 2 days, and my baking desire is growing very thin, which is a little hard to believe, but Christmas baking can do that to me! But I'm happy to serve people, and especially my kids, when they ask for specific items, so it still falls under the category of service, and I'm taking it.

I hope your holiday season is going well. Have you felt much like me--where the month has sprinted by, leaving only faded footprints in the wind. Every year I think to myself--this is going to be the year when we slow down and enjoy the season--but every year more parties clutter the calendar and more shopping needs to be done for well-deserved recipients. I guess when I think of it, an empty calendar and fewer people to serve actually sounds awful for the Christmas season, so busy it will be each year of my life. And I secretly like it that way, even though there are moments where I feel I can hardly keep up with the dishes or catch my breath. (And let's not even mention how many colds we've been battling this December.)

But this season is so good and so full of light. Most of our neighbors strung lights along their awnings and in the bushes to cheer up my kids. They said they just had to do it for the kids. I thought that was sweet. People are really so much more kind and thoughtful that we really understand. I would've thought all the house lights were normal, but according to many of my neighbors, our street is brighter than it has been in years, and it just makes me happy.

I have felt so close to God this December as I have earnestly looked for ways to be present and connected with others. I have listened to them talk, caroled with them, served them meals, played games with them, and partied with them. I have seen need in ways I cannot really describe, and yet in the same way I have seen need, I have also witnessed those needs being filled by the most unlikely people.

My wish for you and me over the next few days is that we'll remember the real reason for all the light in the world. God sent his son to light a very dark world, and that light continues to burn bright, even if it seems so distant at the moment. The light is still there. I hope you'll reach out, but especially reach up, to the people who give you light and thank them for all you have. Friends, merry Christmas a few days early.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley