A granddaughter's eulogy

I've been lucky to have had all 4 grandparents for the 36+ years I've been alive. I always felt kinda special when I told people that fact because it's rare to have all 4 for so many years.

Today I lost my grandpa. And I am more heartbroken than I could've anticipated. My sister called me while I was folding laundry this afternoon, and I didn't know what to do with the shock of the news that I just continued to fold laundry while the tears freely came. I considered it evil therapy, since laundry is always evil in my mind, but it actually was cathartic to do something menial while grasping heavy news. My kids were oblivious to my tears because they were outside destroying our driveway with a dozen mud pies and cookie concoctions. Perhaps the rain or my tears will wash all that mud off the driveway tonight.

I thought that if I was going to sleep tonight, which I hope to do, I needed to excuse myself after our nightly prayer and write because writing, much like laundry, is therapeutic.

My grandpa was a complex person, and yet he was as simple as they come. He was fiercely loyal, straight forward, stubborn, hard-working, generous, loving, funny, honest (sometimes too honest), smart, and handsome. He had the softest skin. I loved the way his cheeks rose when he smiled.

He had false teeth, and when I was little we made up a little game where I would press on his fingertips one by one, and each time I did he'd wiggle his teeth in his mouth a different way. I laughed at it every single time. I even made him do it when I saw him two years ago, and it still made me giggle.

I very much remember the car he owned while I was growing up. It was a little stick-shift sedan. I can't remember if it was a 2-door or 4-door, but that really isn't important. I remember you had to manually roll up and down the windows, and I always really liked doing that. We often cleaned his car in his driveway, and he would teach us how to clean a car properly. Still, for some reason, even though we cleaned it carefully and used the correct products, the tinted part of his windows bubbled. The bubbles fascinated me. I'd press my thumb in them, and grandpa would always poke me in the ribs and remind me not to do it, but I did it anyway.

He once drove me to a Dodger's baseball game, and on the way to the stadium I asked him what age he thought he'd live to. He asked me what I thought, and so I told him the highest number I could count to at the time (102), and he said, "Ok, I'll live to 102." He didn't quite make it, but he outlived so many of his family members and friends.

Grandpa was the guy that snuck you a $20 bill every time you saw him. He'd say, "Buy yourself some lunch on the road, or use that for some gas." He was very generous and taught me to be the same.

He didn't like to swim. I will always remember him being the guy fully-clothed at the beach.

He and grandma always called on my birthday (and each of my kids' birthdays) and would sing "Happy Birthday" loud and proud. Even age didn't slow them down.

He had a way of grumbling under his breath so you could tell he was talking about you but you couldn't quite make out the words. So long as that grumbling wasn't pointed at me, it always made me laugh.

In recent years, I think of all his patience with my kids (he'd always joke that I had a million running around), but he always brought his comb in his front pocket to let the kids play with his perfectly gelled hair, or he'd tickle the kids in their sides, or he'd make jokes with the older girls.

Aside from all these things, I think the thing that I loved the most about my grandpa was the way he loved my grandma. He was fiercely loyal to her and her needs. He rose early every morning to get her an ice pack/heating pad, and he'd help her with anything she needed. He loved her. We all knew it. I am grateful to have witnessed real love--lasting love--for as long as I did.

I knew my grandpa loved me. I knew it as a child when he snuck Smarties into church and passed them over the pew. I knew it when he bought me my favorite doughnuts when I'd visit in high school. I knew it by the way he kissed the top of my head as an adult. And I knew it every time he said, "Love you baby" on our FaceTime calls.

My heart aches because I will miss his scent when I visit home and see my grandma, and I will miss his final "Love you baby" at the end of every phone call and his rendition of "Happy Birthday" on my birthday this year, and every year to come. I am lucky to have heard it 36 times.

7 comments :

  1. This testimony of Lord Krish Spiritual help for me is going to be declared all over the internet to publish his name to people and allow others who have relationship problems to be helped by him. Trust is the key to a successful spell. My name is Richard Becker and I am from Bucharest, Romania. I started writing this testimony on Wed 29th of July, 2020 and I purposefully put the date here so that I remember that it is just within 2 days of contacting Lord Krish Spiritual that my long lost relationship with my ex wife was finally over. I reconnected with my ex wife on the 28th of July after contacting Lord Krish on the 26th of July through his email lordkrishshrine@gmail.com and within 2 days, my ex wife came back to me after separating from her for over 8 years. It was a miracle because I never believed it would be possible. I am still surprised that as I am writing this testimony, she is still sleeping in our matrimonial bed. I am indeed happy sir. Thank you for helping me and I pray other wonderful people give wonderful testimonies too about you. Get in touch with Lord Krish Spiritual to save your relationship. Whatsapp message +2349060153379 and Email: lordkrishshrine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY STORY HERE IS REAL AND GENUINE SPELL CASTER WHO SPECIALIZES  IN LOVE SPELL . My name is Adams Agathe and I am here to testify about the Great DR PADMAN who brought back my man to me when he broke up with me because of another woman who he met at his place of work. Great DR PADMAN  , real and unique man with special powers. I tried to get help from many places and sources to bring back my man but nothing worked but when i contacted Great DR PADMAN , He made me smile again by bringing my man back to me with HIS special powers.. If you are experiencing any problems in your marriage, relationship, and you have any similar problem to this, contact this Great DR PADMAN now he will help you. and you can also contact him now via Email: padmanlovespell@yahoo.com  on his own Whatsapp +19492293867 You can either contact him on His website,  http://padmanspell.com/  Thank you Great DR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help with this number +1 740 573 9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  5. Good news!

    Do you need an urgent loan to settle all kinds of debt? If you need any urgent credit please contact us today. We issue loans ranging from $ 2,000 dollars to $ 100,000,000.00 dollars to any interested individual, boards, schools, churches, with a minimum interest rate of 2% per annum. contact loan processing officer using your corporate email: (inforamzanloan@gmail.com) God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not happy until i met Dr.Ogudugu through these details +2348063739701 or greatogudugu@gmail.com because my husband has left me and never had the intention of coming back home. But just within 48 hours that i contacted Dr.Ogudugu my marriage changed to the positive side, At first my husband came back home and since then my marriage has been more romantic than ever before

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my testimony about the good work of DR. OCUSODO who helped me.... I'm from Texas USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please I want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, I advise you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tells is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is drocusodospellcaster@gmail.com OR drocusodospellcaster@yahoo.com or directly on whats-app +2347066448668    

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley