More time on our hands...

After getting married in August, Tim and I came back to Provo to go to school and manage an apartment complex. We both had jobs at BYU but managed the complex in our free time. It wasn't so bad until the winter came...and never left. We shoveled so much snow, I couldn't believe it. We learned to do lots of things at the complex...things that may seem trivial to some...but were new to us. To show you what I learned, here is a small list:

-I learned to fix a leaky sink. Tim fixed lots of leaky sinks.
-I learned to change door handles.
-I learned how to start a lawn mower. I always struggled with this because of my lack of strength. Tim didn't have trouble here.
-I learned how to tile with Tim.
-I learned the different techniques of painting walls with rollers. -I learned how to smash leaves in large garbage bags to get more in one bag. Living in AZ, I didn't have to rake leaves and so I never had this experience.
-We both learned to deal with people who don't understand emergencies from non-emergencies. It's amazing to realize how many people think things need to be done "right now" or "at this minute." We learned to prioritize.
-We learned that people are often rude when they don't get their way.
-Tim learned how to change out a water heater.
-Tim learned how to change out different electrical wiring. I wouldn't go near it.

I know we learned a lot more, but that is a a gist of what we gleamed from our experience at Inca Villa (the 1st complex we managed). We had a good time there and made a lot of friends. When we found out we were going to have a baby, we began looking for managing jobs that would allow us to work with a baby and have a two-bedroom apt. We were hoping to move in Aug. but found a place in May. So for four months we were managing two places and working our on-campus jobs. Luckily, we did most things together minus our on-campus jobs...so we still saw each other a lot. However, we just finished with Inca Villa two days ago and I can tell you that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We were getting so tired and it was time to call it quits. We now manage just the one complex and work on campus. We have more time on our hands...which is nice...I have to admit. Now we just await the arrival of our little one.

5 comments :

  1. You SO deserve a break. Glad things are a little less stressful now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know you like it when things are busy! :) so what are you doing with all your spare time?? i am interested with what kind of personal projects have you been putting off until you had "more time on your hands?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'm glad you finally got rid of the first appartments. You should be resting- laying down and putting your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys! Sorry I missed you when we were all in SLC! I really would have loved to see you. I can't believe you are almost parents! Can't wait to meet Mya. I bet she will be so beautiful. Tim I'm glad you survived the half marathon...and Taylor's hair! :)

    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see pics of your soon to be bundle of joy!!! I'm so glad you are both so happy. I miss chatting with you...I know it's been forever, but I've always been lousy at keeping in touch! Maybe I can come visit you next time I'm in Utah...will you be around during Thanksgiving or are you venturing down here? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley