Learning

Last night we went to the BYU library to find some sources I used for a paper that will be published next year. While working under the direction of Dr. Dennis Wright, I was able to research the history of missionary work within the LDS religion from 1900-Present. After almost a year of research, Dr. Wright asked me to write about my findings. I did. Unknown to me, Dr. Wright passed my essay on to his colleagues and they suggested he enter the essay into the annual religious symposium held on BYU's campus in February. He did. And they accepted the essay. Dr. Wright and I will be presenting our findings at the symposium for 90 minutes in February. The essay will be published after the symposium.

I just learned about this three days ago and have been trying to gather all my findings to hand over to the men in charge of the symposium. I am so excited. I have always wanted to have a piece of writing published and since it didn't happen as an undergrad I thought I would have to wait until grad school. Guess not.

Being on campus last night made me miss education. Even miss BYU. Although I joke about some of the silly things and traditions around campus, I will never deny that I loved my education. I can still remember sitting in my American Lit class listening to my short, spunky teacher recite the words of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass." Three years later, this same teacher introduced me to Mark Twain. Not the Mark Twain everyone knows because of Huck Finn and A Connecticut Yankee, but the Mark Twain who wrote satirical short stories and funny travel logs. I remember another professor crying as he read the words of Shakespeare. I think I cried too. I learned why Shakespeare was brilliant in that class. I think back to my writing teacher carefully marking my paper in red pen and asking me to stay after class to speak with her. I learned how to use commas that day and haven't forgot since. I learned so many things at BYU. I miss learning. I don't necessarily miss the tests or the monotonous homework, but I miss being challenged. I miss writing papers. I told Tim as we left the library last night that I want to write a new paper on a new topic every four months. I felt like that was a realistic goal. I want to go back to the library and research topics. Now I can research topics I choose and not topics imposed on me. So I am anxious to start my new goal. I am looking for my first paper topic. Any ideas? Any good books to suggest?

Do you miss learning? What do you do to continue your education? Or are you just glad to be done?

5 comments :

  1. I don't really miss hygiene school one bit! I would love to go to school to learn about photography. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Janine...that is such great news for you! I loved the religious symposiums at BYU, what an honor to be part of it! We were just up in Utah last week and walked around campus and it made me miss the school environment too. The education there is excellent and just the whole experience of it there is so unique. I'd love to go back to school, like you, to be challenged and learn more. But I wouldn't trade mommyhood for anything...most days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine,

    I am so very proud of you. This is such a huge deal! I can't wait to read your work. You are such an intelligent woman. And I am glad that others will hear YOUR work and findings!

    There are some days I positively ache for my scholarly days. ACHE! But I continue to try to keep my mind challenged. I go to master classes and seminars, and meet regularly with peers in my field. It helps keep me on track, challenged and fresh.

    I also love reading classical books and watching classic films. Anything and everything. There is a reason that classics are.....well....classics! Right now I'm reading THE BELL JAR, and I am stunned by Sylvia Plath's writing.

    We should never stop learning. We should forever be engaged in our quest for knowledge and wisdom. I know that you will always be among the scholarly. Then in turn, you will be teaching what to others what you have learned.

    Again, I'm so proud of you.

    Love,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topic ideas.......
    I would love to read something on the proper way to use a comma and semicolon!!

    bec my puncuation skills are so horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. right now I want to work on my sewing skills...I want to learn how to use a pattern (so far I've just done my curtains and pillows by following directions). My sister is getting married in December and the bridesmaid (but I'm not a maid...hmmm...bridesisters?)dress pattern is 'easy' so I'm going to try! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley