finally...seeing clearly

Yesterday was an eventful day for us. Some events expected. Some not. But in the end of the day, I truly felt I was seeing more clearly. Let me explain...

Yesterday, a normally routine day for us, turned dramatically different when at work I received a phone call from my babysitter. All I could understand behind the crying was..."Janine...you have to come to my house...Mya is not breathing well...an ambulance is coming....please come." The end. I was helping my boss with something at the time and just ran out of her office grabbed my purse and left in a panic. My boss came running after me because no words escaped my mouth after the phone call. I quickly explained what I understood as I jumped in my car. My hands and legs were shaking. I had no idea what was going on. I pulled out of the driveway and began calling Tim. Tim is normally in a lab underground until 11 on Thursdays so I began thinking of anyone I could call that would come help me if I couldn't reach him. I only thought of Rusty. That wouldn't work though since they moved to Oregon. So I just let the phone ring. Luckily Tim had finished his lab early and was already out of class. He turned the car around and went to the babysitters. I called my mom to calm me down. I called the babysitter twice. No answer. She finally answered on the third ring and handed me over to the paramedics that responded to the call. All I heard was..."She is stable." He explained that she had a febrile seizure and told me things were going to be fine. My heart finally started to calm down. Tim arrived while he was explaining things, so we hung up the phone. When I reached our babysitter's house, Mya was in the ambulance on a cot receiving oxygen. She was just laying there so peacefully. It was by far the saddest scene I have ever seen up until this point. After a few minutes, the paramedic started to help Mya wake up and she looked over and saw us sitting there. I think she was a little freaked out by the men, the ambulance and maybe our faces and just wanted to be held by her "daddy." We did take Mya to the doctor's and everything should be fine. Febrile seizures are common with children under the age of 5. Mya had been sick earlier this week and hadn't had too much to eat. She was playing outside this morning when everything happened, and I think she just overheated and her little body reacted in the best way it could. We are more educated now on the seizures and know how to handle the situation if it happens again, which it very well could. This is no indication that Mya has epilepsy. Just thought I should throw that out there. We just need to be careful when she has a fever.

That was by far the scariest moment of my life. Can't even really explain my feelings. I just felt my world crumple around me. Some of you know that we have been trying to have a baby for some time now and sometimes in my frustration with how things aren't working for us in that department, I fail to recognize the existing blessings in my life. Tim and Mya being the biggest blessings. Yesterday, I was so grateful for Tim. He reacted so calmly while I was a basket case. I was so grateful for those two nice paramedics. I was so grateful that my babysitter called someone. We have an amazing babysitter. I am very blessed. Yesterday put things in perspective a little more. I am just so happy that Mya was basically back to her normal self last night. She was a little fatigued but talking a lot. I just love her.

Also, for the other part of the eventful day, I had Lasik surgery for my eyes. I am seeing pretty clear out of both eyes. The right eye is healing faster than the left. I see better though it, but I can see better than I did with contacts. So success...so happy about that.

9 comments :

  1. Wow. janine I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that. Febrile siezures... or any siezure for that matter are so scary to witness, luckily if not prolonged they are relatively harmless. I've seen febrile siezures a few times at work. I'm really glad she's okay... she's my little buddy! what a scare. Congrats on the Lasix though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I understand your frustration with the baby thing too. It took us 3.5 years the first time and 1.5 the second. It's definitely frustrating but I'm a big believer (now for sure) that everything happens when it's supposed to. (and I know hearing that doesn't help) I'm glad Mya is ok. It's hard to see them in situations like that. I can't imagine seeing Kade in an ambulance and I don't ever want to. I'm really glad she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can NOT imagine! How terrifying. So glad to hear everything is ok and I can't wait to see you sporting your new peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay.. I just balled though that whole thing. I am so happy you and Mya are ok. I am so sorry that you had to go though that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a scare! i'm so glad everything turned out okay with sweet little mya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janine, I am so glad everything is fine with Mya! All I can say is I went through a similar experience with Ty and breathing (I'm sure I've told you), and it was definitely the scariest moment of my life as well. It put things into perspective for me as well. I know it's hard, but it will make you stronger. I still think about it and how terrifying it was, but like you-I know how to deal with it if it happens again. How precious life is...

    Glad the eye surgery went well! I'll see you soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a scare!! Glad that Mya is ok. We can also relate to the difficulty in getting pregnant (we've been trying for a year or so). Let us know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janine,

    I'm glad that baby Mya is okay. That would give anyone quite a fright. I'm just glad that you and Tim were a great team, and that all is well. Love you.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that Mya is ok. My heart skipped a beat when I started reading your post. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I can't even imagine how you felt. Good luck with getting prego. We've been trying for a while too with no luck, and I know how frustrating it gets.

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley