Didn't know I'd fall in love: Sarah

 
What do you remember about the first kiss?

I just wasn't expecting to fall in love. I was in my last semester of college at a teeny tiny school in the middle of nowhere Indiana. I'd spent the semester prior abroad, and my plan was to head back to London to finish grad school. And then I wound up in a night class with this stupid boy that I'd had a crush on for years. Man, did he get under my skin. So we spent our class periods picking on each other, flirting, and making plans for study groups.

Then one "study group," our friends, having observed what was unfolding, left us to ourselves and our feelings. And the plan was for me to get him out of my system. "Tonight," I thought to myself, "I'm going to kiss this boy and I'll have conquered him and I'll be over it and on with my life." But then he sat across from me at the Steak 'n Shake by campus, sharing a plate of fries, telling me about his life. He was different than I'd thought.

I kept my head about me. I still had my plan. We put on a movie at his house. Suddenly, I felt like a little tart executing my plan. Who goes after a kiss like that? We weren't even on a date. But I had to rid myself of him. Besides, I could tell he wanted to kiss me too, the way he kept leaning in and then shyly backing away.

"Are you going to do it or not?" I blurted out, because it is my way to boldly state what I want. I think I scared him. But not really.

Maybe he was shocked, but seconds later it had worn off and before I could catch my breath he had my face in his hands and he was laying one on me.

That was the best kiss of my life.

You know how in cartoons when the little mouse or cat or whatever finally kisses the girl and there are hearts and fireworks over his head? Those were definitely over my head. I felt like I was in a romantic comedy and my "falling in love" music was playing in the background. Before that kiss, I'd never believed that you could just know who you would marry. I thought that it was a sensible decision that you made after years of relationship and talking and thinking. 

But that night, I knew that was my last first kiss. I knew that I had just kissed my future husband. 

And seven years later, I still hear my "falling in love" music every time he kisses me. (You can read our whole love story here.)

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley