a very chance blind date: Cate

Cate from A Touch of Pretty is my next guest blogger. She is the twin sister of a girl I knew and loved at the dental college. She found my blog through her sister, and in return I found her blog. She is very creative and fun to follow.

Clearly how I won him over! (30 scoops of ice cream in a dog dish)

As I scoured through the questions Janine emailed on the topic of love, my first impulse was to write about the most memorable moment on my honeymoon. It involved coming out in something sassy, completely tripping and nailing the poor Husband with my elbow....on his upper thigh. But since nothing can quite ruin the mood like injuring your spouse, I decided to write about something a little safer, our whirlwind romance leading up to that ever so nerve wracking first kiss!

The husband and I met on a very chance blind date. 

On January 19, 2008 I was putting the final touches on my makeup and getting ready for a date with a handsome Australian boy I had met the night before when I heard my phone ringing in my dorm room near by. Naturally, I raced to my phone. On the other line was a boy with a drawn out country voice. He was planning on taking my twin sister Candi out later that evening. He explained that his roommate's date canceled on him and asked if I would like to double with them. 

 I politely explained I had plans. Then I off-handedly asked him what his roommates name was, he replied "Kyler." I couldn't help repeating his name out loud. I instantly loved the way that his name sounded on my lips. I mentioned this little exchange to my sister and ever so lovely roommate. In unison they both started telling me how they had met Kyler the day before and what a babe he was (this is always The Husbands favorite part of the story.) On impulse I canceled my previous arrangement and went on that blind date....then I met him. He was tall, handsome and.... extremely reserved.   

I was a reckless flirt that night. Figuring I had nothing to loose, mistaking his genuine shyness for arrogance. Thinking it wouldn't go any further then bowling and a movie. 

For the first time in my life I am so grateful I was wrong.
I laid awake that night thinking about him. Somehow I found his quiet manor and blunt honesty intriguing, dare I say even alluring (In a Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice sort of way....I have always been somewhat of a hopeless romantic) What I couldn't get over was before he left was that smile he shot my way . Oh that smile to this day still makes me completely weak in the knees.

Early the next morning I heard a knock at the door. Much to my delight and horror it was him and his roommates inviting our apartment to go sledding with them. Looking like a not so hott mess with morning breath, I decided it would probably be best if my morning breath and I didn't go out and greet them. Really that kind of unruliness should alway wait until marriage ;)

I decided to pull my disheveled self together and went sledding with him. It was -36  outside (typical Rexburg weather) and so so windy! Yet when I was with him  I felt unexplainably warm inside. I didn't seem to care that there was a huge possibility that I would never feel my nose again (or the fact that there was probably stuff dripping out of it...gross I know) or that I was slurring my words because my lips were so numb ....Looking back I think it was there on that little black tube we were sharing where I realized that he was different, that this was going to be different and because of him I would be different......falling in love on second date? I think there is a word for girls like me....ridiculous! Ridiculous or not, I was already falling for him and I knew I was going to fall hard. 

At 11: 58 p.m. Exactly 7 days after I met him we sat in my Mazda two minutes shy of my 19th birthday he told me goodnight and tried to get out of my car. I asked him to stay for just two more minutes. We sat in silence as the lyrics from Colbie Calliat song "Realize" sang softly from the radio. "I hope you just realize what I just realized that we are perfect for each other and you will never find another." The clock turned to midnight and everything just seemed to stand still. Then I did something completely out of my character. I leaned over my seat and kissed him. We were both shocked by my boldness he and I immediately separated like teenagers do when their parents walk in.

Then it happened.

He kissed me. It was firm, and bold and felt like everything I had ever known to be beautiful and right. It was the kind of kiss that made you want nothing more then to be the recipient of it everyday for the rest of your life. I was suddenly grateful that we were sitting down, I  felt completely light headed and weak in the knees. I had never been kissed like that. It was the perfect kiss.

Before he said goodnight  he quickly pecked my lip and said something that I am quite confident he will never live down. "Thank you Candi.".... as in my twin sisters name. The only thing I could think to say was "wrong twin..." haha

Here we are four years later trying hard to recreate the magic of our first kiss. While things aren't always milk in oreos around here, he loves me and I completely adore him....and he knows it ;)

We truly have a good thing going.

4 comments :

  1. Janine, I really enjoy your blog. Its fun to get to know your cute family. You are a great writer and your blog is one that I catch myself thinking about after I'm done reading.

    Cate, Janine is right, you are very creative. Sometimes I wish I would have takenn the right brain instead of the left haha. I loved your love story, except for Kyler calling you my name!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate I never get tired of hearing your love story you have such a romantic and endearing way of expressing yours and Kyler's histroy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate I never get tired of hearing your love story you have such a romantic and endearing way of expressing yours and Kyler's histroy.

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley