Another first

I feel like Mya has been in kindergarten for the past three years so it seems strange to write a post about her real "first" day of kindergarten. She's been ready for weeks, and who am I kidding...so have I. The past two weeks have been rough around here as we've dealt with her changing mood swings and off behavior. It was as if she knew change was coming, and she didn't want to wait another second so she fought herself and everyone around her during her final days of summer.

Today as I dropped her off, late as usual, I hugged her, kissed her cheek and pushed her into her new, unfamiliar classroom. I told her to be brave, be kind, be true and not to break any bones. We both laughed at the last piece of advice, but in all seriousness, I really worry that I'll get a call one day telling me that she fell from the monkey bars.

I drove home listening to Elle scream at the top of her lungs for an unknown reason, and I felt my heart smile a little for Mya. That girl is so much like me when it comes to claiming her independence. I felt bad rushing her to class without a huge ordeal, but she walked in confidently and beautifully, never looking back. My girl is as beautiful as they come.

I'm excited for this year to start. I can't wait to see how we both grow together. I love learning all she is learning. Last year I relearned what a rhombus was because of a homework assignment that was sent home. I had completely forgotten about the rhombus! What a shame. ;) But really, I love relearning the simple basics and am confident Mya will teach me all I need to know.

Can I tell you one other thing that just makes my heart feel happy? I will not have to hear the following phrase 100 times a day anymore: "What fun thing are we going to do now?" (Emphasis on the now.) No matter how many activities I planned each day, nothing ever lived up to whatever she had planned in her head. If she had her way, we'd travel the world, catch a few shows, swim a few laps and play a few rounds of Skiball at Chuck e Cheese all in one day. How can anyone live up to that?!

Go baby girl. Spread your wings. And feel free to ask your teacher about all the fun activities she has planned for you.




No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley