on being healthy


First, thank you for all the kind comments, emails and texts I received last week when I wrote about living life after an eating disorder. I wrote it in a moment of frustration after encountering more than a handful of comments about my weight earlier in the day. I also wrote it to start a discussion about how we approach people, men and women alike, because body shaming is unacceptable in every form.

Second, as you can see from the picture above, if you can see anything beyond my ultra-white legs (someone doesn't live in San Diego anymore), I have really tried to maintain a healthy weight since the birth of Felicity. After the holidays and never-ending medical emergencies, Tim and I looked in the mirror, and we knew we could improve on so many aspects of our health: physically, emotionally and mentally. We had been putting ourselves last for too long.

Our friend invited us to do an 8-week health challenge that consisted of drinking 64 oz. of water daily, eating 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit daily, exercising 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes, avoiding sweets/sugar except 1 day a week, not eating after 9pm, and keeping a food journal. The first week was miserable because we had been on such a sugar high after the holidays. I'm pretty sure my breast milk consisted of mostly sugar cookies and chocolate. ;) But as soon as we got through the initial sugar detox, we both started seeing results in our bodies, skin and state of being. Although the challenge didn't limit us from processed food, we opted to switch crackers and chips for veggies and fruit. We stopped drinking pop altogether (because diet drinks make me feel funny), and we got used to drinking water all the time. We both lost the weight we were trying to lose, and by the end of the 8 weeks, we had started forming really great eating habits that stuck long after the challenge stopped.

A few weeks ago, I noticed our nightly routine of eating a bowl of ice cream was creeping back into rotation so I asked friends and family to join us in another challenge. It's been easier the second time and mostly because we know we can push our bodies to do hard things. We are capable of living a healthy lifestyle.

For exercise, I run 5 times a week. I run anywhere from 2.5 miles to 4 miles a day, and I walk as often as I can. The girls and I walk/ride bikes at least twice a day. It feels great to be active. People always ask me what I do on my runs to help pass the time. Because my ears are so sensitive to headphones, I generally run solo. I listen to my body. If it says to push it a little more, I do. If it tells me to slow down, I do. My pace has really improved, which makes me happy because I really like challenging myself. I try to vary my running routes, and I say a lot of morning prayers while I'm on the road because I know as soon as I get home, three little half-naked girls will be waiting for me at the window.

I don't always take the time I would like to take to meditate. I believe in mediation, or being still. My body, mind and spirit need it. I need to make this a higher priority, but for some reason, I can't seem to shake the notion that if the kids are occupied, I should be cleaning something (there's always so much to clean). But I feel a noticeable difference in my day when I take time to be still and ponder eternal things. An eternal perspective always helps me remember the daily grind will only be temporary. It will always change, but eternity will not.

I believe in being healthy--mind, body and soul.

1 comment :

  1. great post. I wish I was in a place I could join in this health challenge. Being healthy and feeling like your healthiest self is so important. I'm glad you have found something that works so well for you. I'm sorry you still struggle post eating disorder. But thanks for your honesty and you do look like healthy and content Janine in this photo... way to go.

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley