connecting generations


My grandma is probably going to kill me for posting this picture; she doesn't like me posting pictures of her or my grandpa on the internet. I understand it, but I just can't help but post this picture because it makes my heart smile. Sorry grandma. I wanted to document it because it is my intention that I will print my blog as a book someday.

Genevieve fell in love with my grandpa while we were in Arizona. Watching her play with him brought back so many memories of when I used to sit on my grandpa's lap and rub the back of his head, which was always so perfectly combed. I'd look up at him, studying the lines and curves in his face, and then he'd turn his head to face me and he'd smile with his fake pearly whites, and I always felt safe and loved. My grandpa used to play so many games with me. He'd let me press his finger tips, and each time I did he'd wiggle his fake teeth to my delight. It made me laugh so hard. I have always loved my grandpa, and if I could, I'd still sit on on his lap and giggle.

My grandpa didn't wiggle his teeth for Genevieve; he didn't have to. He just handed her his trusty comb and let her work her magic with his hair, and within minutes they were fast friends. She stuck to him like glue. She still asks about him, and she prays for him all the time.

I believe in connecting generations. It is probably the hardest part of living away from my family. I wish my girls could visit with my parents, siblings and grandparents on a monthly basis because I know that no matter what, family is the most important thing in the world. Genevieve might not know all the stories I know about my grandpa, but she knows that he made her feel special and important. She knows she can call him. She knows that he will answer and that he will make her laugh. I am grateful for the family in our life. We feel so lucky to have each grandparent, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc. And I hope that life will keep allowing us to get together so that lasting connections can be made.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley