The 4th of July

The 4th of July has been one of my least favorite holidays in recent years because we usually just move to a new state and have no friends and no idea how to celebrate in a new city. I'm pretty sure that for the past four years Tim and I have gone to bed close to 9pm after watching a quick firework show on t.v.

This year was different. Hallelujah! Tim's brother and his wife and family had been staying with us for the week, and we made some plans with a few neighbors, and the day was really great. The whole week was fun, but having everyone together around our stained dining table, eating hamburgers, hot dogs and pork just made everything better. We all laughed a lot that day, and after a better-than-normal firework show at the local high school, we crashed easily that night.

I have about 200 pictures from last week so I've narrowed it down to a large handful. I apologize for the picture dump, but as you can see, I am very behind on this blog of mine, and if you'd ever like me to start writing something of real value again, just let the picture dumps happen. ;)

























A couple of side notes: 
-It was so strange to have boys in the house. I kept finding the toilet seat up and would wonder who kept doing that, and then I would remember the boys, and I would laugh. On the bright side, at least they lifted the toilet seat up in the first place.
-Elle was not a fan of fireworks. She didn't mind the distant ones at the high school, but she nearly peed her pants when Lee lit her sparkler. She immediately asked me to go inside to hide. We caught her peering at the fireworks from the window because she wouldn't dare step one toe outside during the small show at home.
-We are eternally grateful for our neighbors, Lee and Veronica (or as Genevieve calls them "Wee" and "Re-reonica"). Lee works with Tim, and we bought our house across the street from theirs without knowing it. I remember the realtor telling me they had bought the house across the street, and even though I didn't know them, I was sure it was going to be a bad idea because I wasn't sold on the idea of living so close to co-workers. But it has worked out great. Our dogs are best friends. And we are great friends too. We give each other our needed space, but there is a sense of family between us, and I am grateful for it.
-We are really sad Tim's boss is moving. We have loved getting to know TJ. So far, Tim has always been lucky in the boss department. Each boss has tried to help him navigate the best path to success, and TJ was no different. He spent lots of time with him, training and teaching him. We will miss him a lot.
-And finally, I now understand why taxes are so high in our small town. They spend so much on fireworks that they have to make up for it somewhere. The show was amazing. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but it was great. And it only took us 10 minutes to get home because traffic in a town of 3500 isn't bad at all.

1 comment :

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley