garage soccer


People ask me all the time how I handle all the emotions girls have bottled up inside of them, and generally I respond that it's not that bad unless all the girls are breaking down at the same time, which thankfully doesn't happen all that often. That being said, the girls have been stuck in a fragile state of mind and heart for the past week or so, and it's taking it's toll. It seems that every hour I'm trying to coax someone out from behind a chair or under a bed just so I can listen to them complain and whine how something in life did not go their way. Patiently (and sometimes not so patiently depending on my mood...let's be honest), I listen to their story while quickly thinking of some way to get them out of their funk--sometimes it's a tight squeeze, and sometime's it's tough love. Motherhood keeps me quick on my feet.

However, the other night after the girls came home from camping and after a long day of soccer and birthday parties, I found myself enjoying a rousing game of garage soccer. I laughed as I listed to them yell, "Out of balance" for "Out of bounds." Sometimes I prefer that my kids say the wrong phrases. They kicked the ball back and forth and up and down the empty garage space for about 30 minutes without any tears; it was a miracle. I watched Tim trick them with his daddy moves and score in their makeshift goals (a child's plastic swimming pool and a box). Giggling, they'd run up and high five him or punch him in the side. I felt so honored to be a spectator to such a fun moment; it seemed for a moment that all negative emotions had been tossed out the window, and everyone was having a grand time. (Of course that ended when I called for dinner and the game had to end and someone had to win.) But for a moment, it was all smiles and laughters, and I thought this is the life.

I'm known for being a person who doesn't slow down much. I often miss out on simple moments because I'm too busy picking up messes around the house rather than cuddling during cartoons (I've decided I really don't like cartoons these days), but I'm trying to stop myself more often and sit down and watch the children at play. I know their playing days are numbered so I continuously try and remind myself that five minutes of observing will do my mama heart so much good, and cleaning can always wait (it really can).

I love my girls, emotions and all, and I feel like the luckiest person in the world to have their love in return.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley