history

Tim and I saw Hamilton (the Broadway musical) this weekend, and my mind is still pondering all that I saw and heard. The musical was exquisite, and I loved the perspective it offered with a diverse cast. There is so much I could and want to say about it, but honestly, the thing I loved about seeing Hamilton the way Tim and I saw it was that we didn't know anything about the musical before entering the building; we just knew it was highly recommended, and so I will join my voice with the millions and say SEE IT! You will not regret it. And although I don't want to spoil anything about the musical, the one thing that has stayed at the forefront of my mind is that I should be doing a better job writing my history. 

I used to be so good at writing my thoughts and feelings, but I have let life get in the way. Just yesterday I sat at my computer with the intention to jot down this exact post, but I let work get away from me, and before I knew it, the girls were barging through the garage door after school, kicking off their shoes in every direction and filling my ears with stories of the day. And there went my free moment. And I guess you could say, something like that happens every single day, and weeks go by without me jotting anything down, and the further I get away from the present, the harder it is for me to want to catch up or write at all, but after watching the musical I was reminded that if I don't write it down, it won't be remembered (even if some believe it was remembered incorrectly). 

My history often feels so inconsequential, but it's not. It is important to me, and hopefully my kids will gleam something from my bits of wisdom or randomness when they get older. Recently Mya asked me if I put my recipes online. When I asked why, she cocked her head and candidly said, "Well, if you die, how will I know how to cook like you?" And well, the thought made my heart ache because I obviously don't want to go anywhere, but then I thought I should be better about putting my favorite thoughts, memories, recipes, and pictures up, even if it's just for my kids. 

So I am determined to be better. I don't give in to excuses during my daily workout routine, and I am going to try and do the same for my writing.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley