She's 6!


Six years ago, I faked my way into labor and delivery, and I'm pretty sure my OB just wanted me out of his hair, so he didn't call my bluff, and he started me on pitocin, which allowed me to push this blue-eyed beauty out within a few hours. Our lives were forever changed that day, and I'm so thankful that Elle is in our family because she has a way of loving me that no one else does. 

Elle is an excellent conversationalist. She can talk to anyone, and she usually does. I remember last summer when we went to a beach in Michigan one afternoon, and I couldn't find Elle. I started scanning the beach and found her talking to a woman with a metal detector; she ended up walking up and down the beach with her, talking with her the whole time (we did have a little chat after this experience about not leaving with strangers), but the lady was kind enough, and we all had a good laugh after.

Elle is so kind to others. Today when I visited her at school, I found her holding hands with a boy named Daniel. She has come home several days talking about him, so I assumed it was him without knowing him. Daniel is tiny; he barely reaches her shoulder. Timmy might be as big as him. She says that other kids aren't always that nice to him because he's so small so she has decided she will be his friend, and he seems to love it. He had a big smile on his face anytime she sat next to him. 

Here are a few other things I love about her right now: Elle gives the best hugs. She is almost always the first one up in the morning. She comes down at least once every night after we put her to bed. She is an avid rock collector. She still hoards everything. She is very smart and just started reading chapter books. She has a sweet voice (I love singing with her at night). She admires her sisters. She loves riding behind her sisters to school but always looks a little crooked because her backpack is so big. She loves cheese, pepperoni and crackers. She is excellent at coloring and goes a bit crazy if anyone colors in her books. She writes a love note to her teacher almost every single day. She still detests fruits and vegetables. She is impossible to calm down when she's mad. She wears a headband every single day. And she puts on the greatest shows with her sisters (mostly because they still boss her around and she hasn't figured out how to say no to them). 

I love Elle so much. I honestly can't imagine life without her. 

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't find her after school, which is really odd. We have strict rules about leaving our street without a companion and without telling me. She lost her bike lock somewhere along her bike route home and without thinking, she took off looking for it. Mya came in after a few minutes while I was making dinner and asked if I knew where she was. I told her that I knew she had her helmet on so I assumed she was biking in the neighborhood. Mya set out on her bike to join her but couldn't find her. She came home and told me, and I told her to enlist her siblings' help to look around the yards. No one could find her. At that point, my heart started to panic a little and I grabbed my keys and started searching the neighborhood. I nearly made it to the school and still could't find her. A police officer happened to be patrolling the neighborhood so I flagged him down and gave him a description of her and her clothing for the day and enlisted his help. We finally found her (not before my heart sank to my toes), and I jumped out of my car and hugged her so tight. I told her firmly but lovingly never to do that again because who would talk to me in the mornings and while I made dinner. I reminded her how much I needed her. 

It was in that moment (and really every other moment in between) that I realized how much I need her and each of my kids. They fill my life with so much love and light. 

Happy birthday baby girl!








No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley