dating


We haven't always been good at dating in our marriage, but over the past few years, we have tried to date at least once or twice a month. We have been lucky enough this month to take 2 overnight dates away from the kids--1) to see Hamilton in Chicago (which was amazing!) and 2) to see Taylor Swift in Indianapolis (which was exhilarating!). We realize how lucky we are to have been able to get away for such special experiences, and we're grateful for all the help that has made it possible for us to do it.

Dating Tim is perhaps one of the best things in my life. I look forward to being alone with him; I crave intimacy with him (and I'm not even talking about sex, although that is wonderful too). I just like being near him, grazing his hand with my hand, placing my hand in the pockets of his jeans, resting my hand on the small of his back, running my hand through his hair, etc. Being with him makes me feel alive. He talks to me in ways no one else can talk to me. He knows me so well. And he loves me so much, and I love him so much. I love that we can be with each other and talk for hours or not talk at all, yet feel so in sync.

We love to walk through cities, taking in all the smells and sights. We constantly comment on unique architecture and beautiful skylines. We enjoy trying new restaurants and tasting food from each place we visit. We love talking to strangers and learning their stories. And we love doing it all together.

I used to fear that marriage would feel boring after awhile of being with the same person, but for us it hasn't felt boring at all. It's felt exhausting, sure, but it's been an exciting ride to watch each other grow and change or even stay the same on some things. We don't always change in the same direction; sometimes he goes one way and I go another, but we continue to listen to each other and respect the paths we choose, and it's a sweet thing to have someone know the old you, the present you and the future you, and love each of them the same.

Tim is the very best thing in my life. He just is. The kids take a very close second.

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley