food friday: homemade spaghetti sauce


My dear friend and very talented cook and photographer, Nickell, opened my whole world to homemade spaghetti sauce nearly a year ago. I first tried this delicious and easy sauce on her BBQ chicken pizza. It was the base red sauce of the pizza. I begged her for the pizza recipe and was happily surprised when I realized the sauce could also be used in spaghetti. We love "psgetti" in this house. Every time I eat this meal I wish we still lived around the corner from Nickell and her family. Missing you guys tonight.

Nickell's Spaghetti Sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1Tbsp. garlic poweder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. Parmesan
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 lb. cooked ground beef (omit ground beef if using as the base of a pizza...obviously)

Combine all ingredients except ground beef in a pan. Bring to a low boil. Add cooked ground beef and let simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over spaghetti noodles.

Want to know a secret? If you want this sauce to be even better than it already is, add a little heavy cream on top of your sauce and mix it around. The people in Argentina taught me the heavy cream trick and it has been a life saver on my super sensitive stomach. My tummy just doesn't handle straight red sauce well.

4 comments :

  1. Looks yummy! Thanks for the tip about adding the cream. Never heard of that. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to try this recipe: my boyfriend loves bolognese and I'm preeeeetty sure it's far more delicious than the one we buy!
    I'll let you know when I do!

    thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I will be trying this out this week!
    Thanks for the recipe :)

    Amy X

    amyandthecity3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! doing this tonight for dinner! i wonder if milk would help, or if it has to be cream? i'll try tonight...

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley