relationship topic #1: intimacy in romantic relationships


Shhhh...this might surprise you...I'm not a virgin. Okay, it's not really new news since I have two peanuts and all, but sometimes this fact still surprises my 28 year old self. (As a disclaimer to my readers, I want you to know that I recognize this topic is taboo, especially in many religious communities. If just reading the word "sex" makes you uncomfortable, stop reading now. I will address other more pleasing topics throughout the next month so be sure to stick with me.)

Today I'm tackling the topic of intimacy in romantic relationships in the only way I know how--I will be straight, honest and clean. I'm talking about this topic first to get it out of the way; it's an awkward subject for most people. Don't worry mom and dad, I promise not to write anything that will embarrass you; however, I want do want to begin a discussion that will hopefully evoke helpful feedback for all couples.

If you know me or Tim at all, you know we joke about sex a lot. I'd like to blame the bad habit on our best friends but am not sure if that theory still rings true since we haven't lived near them in over two years. We joke about the normal things: funny lingerie we see in major department stores and interesting objects sold in gas station bathrooms and overdone love scenes portrayed in movies or in tv shows. But though we playfully joke, I am a firm believer that intimacy is a very personal and divine act and should be treated as such.

Before I got married I thought I knew my fair share about sex. I did not grow up in a home where the word "sex" was ever shielded from family conversation. In fact, it was a semi-regular topic of conversation in my grown-up years. I think my mom felt it was important for us to know the straight facts so we didn't get ourselves into trouble. Whether or not my siblings and I heeded her cautions is up for debate. Well, thanks to my mom's words and discussions I had had with my friends prior to my wedding, I felt prepared for intimacy.

However, I quickly realized how unprepared I was. I will let you in on a little secret: Intimacy is different for every couple. What might work for one couple might fail for another. BUT (and this is the most important part) you should never stop trying to make your partner feel happy and comfortable. Tim and I learned this secret on our honeymoon and throughout our first year of marriage as we discussed what we thought sex would be like and what it actually was. Yes you read that correctly, we talked and still talk about the ups and downs of sex. Our intimate life has changed as we have changed. Yours will too. I hope you talk about it with that special someone.

Do we have any special advice for you? Not really. We are not experts. But we do love each other a lot and try in every way to make each other happy. But since I know you are secretly hoping I will have some pearls of wisdom, here you go (take it or leave it):

--Our good friends once told us, "Men are like microwaves, women are like ovens." I'll let you figure out the meaning behind this one.
--Intimacy does not always equal sex. Sometimes we are perfectly satisfied cuddling at night as we enjoy pillow talk.
--Another friend really opened my whole world when she told me to stop thinking about other things during sex. I think this tip is more for women because Tim can't understand why I'd be thinking about the dishes or my messy house during an intimate moment.
--If you are really struggling in this area, you should probably talk about it more openly with your spouse. You may even need to purchase some literature. Don't be ashamed. There's an entire section devoted to the subject in your local Barnes and Nobles. And yes, I know that.
--You should talk about frequency. Sometimes males and females are on two different playing fields when it comes to how many times a week/month/year (hopefully not year) people should have sex. The number will change with different periods of life so you should revisit this one every once in awhile.
--Say thank you or show appreciation for intimate moments shared. Sometimes I will text or email Tim midday and say "thanks for last night" or "i needed that hug this morning" or i loved that kiss on my cheek." He does the same. The more we do that, the more we feel inclined to do it again. So be grateful.

Did I say too much? Are you blushing? Mom, I'm pretty certain you are. Sorry about that. I tried to tread lightly as I wrote about this topic.

Now...talk to me. Do you agree? Disagree? What did I miss? If you want to read more about this topic, please visit the very knowledgeable author Alisa Bowman at Project Happily Ever After.

11 comments :

  1. Thanks for keeping it clean and classy. I agree with everything you've said. It's important to be able to communicate to your spouse when it comes to intimacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree! Especially about communication. Sometimes I think couples just assume that sex and intimacy will get better the longer they're with each other; that they'll magically "get" the other person and understand their wants and needs. NOT so. Talking about sex with your partner is OH-SO-IMPORTANT I think, as embarrassing as it may be the first few times, and you both may end up with exactly the intimate relationship you want! Oh, and you're definitely right about how the frequency changes as your life together progresses - if you can't remember the last time you had sex, and you're going to bed in baby-milk-stained pajamas, it's time to shape up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed by the tawdry nature of most of the books in our Barnes and Noble sex section, so I turned online and found "A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy" by Dr. Douglas E Rosenau. The author is not LDS, but takes a tasteful, Christian approach to the topic and had many insights that has helped me in my journey to be a better lover and better understand myself and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Nicely written. I read this article then read a few more down the page and I can see that you're very well grounded and that's always important when it comes to sensitive topics of intimacy. I would agree that communication is key.


    www.houseofhemingway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how people really don't understand the true meaning of intimacy. Or maybe they do, but I know for us that it's very similar to you guys. We don't always need to have sex. Sometimes making out totally fulfills us. We communicate really well about our personal needs and I also think that is a big reason why we are both so happy. Kenny (husband), use to tell me to block everything else out and really focus on our moment together. Well, it's not always that easy, but I am getting there. You said it all perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think intimacy or sex should never be taboo for anyone. Though, like you, I respect people who don't want to talk about it.

    I talk about it with my boyfriend, with some of my friends. You just have to know where the limit to the conversation lays.

    I really liked the last tip you gave, I'm not sure I say thank you, so from now on, I'll be sure to do this.
    The tip about thinking about something else made me laugh out loud because I was doing it and had to stop because it was so distracting! aaaaah!!

    I think couples should always be able to talk about their intimacy openly and respectfully, they should talk about what they want, what they don't want, what is good or bad for them.

    Cuddling is definitely one of the best part of the day for me. We are together, at peace and happy.

    Thanks so much for sharing your point of view on this topic. I really enjoyed reading it.

    p.s. my word verification is... prono ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is one of my favorite subjects to talk about and i so agree with everything you have said. a good resource for me on marital intimacy has been laura brotherson over at http://www.strengtheningmarriage.com/. she is amazing at giving intimacy advise for married couples. i truly believe sexual intimacy is a divine gift. over the years we have definitely had our ups and downs and the thing that's kept us going is communication. i am grateful that we can be open about what we each desire and that we are willing to evaluate things once in a while and work on improving things. thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. and thanks for visiting me over at my blog earlier today and leaving a comment. ;) may i ask how you found me? my blog is so new i am surprised anyone is reading it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours looks so fun and I am now a follower :) I look forward to reading more.

    http://bronsonbloopers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love that you brought this topic up. It is not talked about enough in a respectful, classy way.

    My two cents to this would be to make time for intimacy and make it a priority. I have been surprised, even in the first year of marriage, how much other things get in the way and crowd that out. Sometimes we literally have to schedule intimacy because if we don't the other stuff can just absolutely take over. I think it's so important to realize its importance. (If that makes any sense...)

    Love you, Janine. Keep it up! And I just realized that somehow I'm not a follower of your blog, but now I officially am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love, love, love this!
    every bit of it!
    and i love the part about trying to stop thinking about other things during sex. (glad i'm not the only one!) once i tried this, it made the connection better and more enjoyable!

    love how open and honest you are in your posts! new follower for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

"Be kind and considerate with your criticism... It's just as hard to write a bad book as it is to write a good book." Malcolm Cowley